Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Shopping for IDs

Introduction
I always think ID Hunting should be like man doing shopping. Know what you are looking for and just get it done ASAP.  Woman-style shopping should not be adopted (no offense, ladies.  Just an analogy).  Without knowing what you want, you may end up spending more time and money!

This, in some way, describes Gf and my style of shopping.

So what should you do to reduce the pain and time of ID hunting? 


The Preparations
  1. Plan your Budget!
    I can never stress this enough.  In my earlier post, I have explained the importance on budget planning and how to plan your budget well.  You need to know how much you can set aside!
  2. Think of what you want!
    Prior to the visit, research on your design themes.  Of course you can depend on the ID to come out with the design.  But if you are going to work with a Contractor, you need a design in your mind.

    I personally think if you are going to do up your home, you might as well do some homework.  I have given some popular themes out there in my previous post, but there are still many themes out there (use Google!).   Also check out designs on home design magazines.  My personal favourites are Home & Decor and Squarerooms.

    You can also consider using online apps/softwares (I will do a write-up in a later post) which you can plan out your layout.

    Or you can be like my mother.  No homework done and she left all the works to a contractor.  In the end, she paid the same amount as many other homeowners but ended up with a home with a generic design.

    Like what Jack from ThreeDConceptwerke said, "I don't not want someone to come to my house and say, 'Hey! you kitchen is so like Tom's! so nice."

  3. Plan your hunt!ID hunting is crazy.  So plan your hunt well.  Do a research on good ID firms.  I have earlier done a write-up.  Pay close attention to recommendations. Then draw up a list and plan your visits.  For example if there are three IDs in your list that are based in IMM, visit them at one go.  It may also be wise to make prior appointments if you have an ID in mind.
  4. State your requirements clearly!
    During your discussion with the ID, state your requirements for each room.  Some of the things you should highlight or request the ID to review/propose:-
  • Storage Options: Do you have any bulky items like luggages but no storeroom?  Let your ID propose storage solutions.
  • Functions of each room:  Kids room? Study room? what is the function of the room?
  • Cooking style: Heavy cooker or light cooker? You need to inform the ID in order to plan effectively a kitchen to suit the needs.
  • Any material dislike?: Inform your ID if you do not like any materials.  For me, I have a disdain for wallpapers and mirrors and I made it known early I do not want them in my home.  Note that not all materials are suitable for some themes too.  For example, I have yet seen the use of fanciful wall papers in resort theme homes.
  • Ceiling fans: Are you planning to install ceiling fans?  If so, it may not be advisable to install false ceilings.  Alternatively, request your ID to plan the false ceiling layout.
  • Wardrobe: Do you want a walk-in-wardrobe?   Let your ID propose.  However, be warned that if it involved hacking an existing room, you lose that room.  It may be hard for it be converted back in future too unless you are willing to do another round of renovations.

    Once you are done, state your budget for the ID/contractor works minus at least 10% and round down to nearest $5,000.  For example, if your budget is $40,000, state amount of $35,000.  The remaining $5,000 shall form your contingency budget.  That's because in every design, variations are bound to happen, so it's better to keep aside part of that budget.  DO NOT REVEAL this to your ID/Contractor.  And explain that this cost excludes any electrical cost and air-conditioning cost.

    If you also need your ID's advice on furniture selection, sound it out to him/her.  There are some IDs whom provide excellent service by accompanying you to get furniture that complements with your home design.
Conclusion
That about sums it up. If my small brain remembers anything, I will update it.  Good luck on your ID Hunt!

1 comment: