Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Mee-ni-nai-mi-mo I choose you (ID selection) Part 1

Okay, my previous post I mentioned I visited 14 ID firms.  I was wrong.  It was 13.  But still crazy.  So crazy that I still cannot believe my determination to get the best quotation.

Later you will find a brief write-up on each ID firm.  Please note that the write-up is to allow readers to make an informed decision.  Opinions are of mine alone and should not be held against each ID firm.  Neither am I being endorsed by any of the firms.

To me, the ability of the ID to design accordingly to my theme is of utmost importance.  I will be lying if cost is not a factor.  Another is communication.  It is important I can relay my instructions clearly and be understood easily.

In the end, I had a shortlist of the ID firms.  Most felt short 'cos of budget.  Some due to design.  And some totally didn't came back with their quotations (disappointing). 

Okay, enough blabbering.  Here is a write-up of the IDs or contractors I approached (* indicated shortlisted initially).  Some of the ID's names have been 'censored' as I find the post may not be fair to them (considering that it's my own view and that their side of story is not heard).  I have appended their websites in the sub-headings to allow readers to search for them easier.


Edgeline Planners*
I was served by a young chap,Alan. I personally felt despite his age, Alan has a creative vibe in him. I was initially cautious as my sister used the same ID firm and had nasty words about its works (this was strangely retracted by sister later whom now swears by their workmanship).

Alan is very hardworking and works fast. In total, I met him a total of four times as he was one of my short listed. However, his quotation came back a tad high and I have a nudging feeling that his variation works may amount to a large sum (as what I read from forums but hey which ID doesn't?!).  Nevertheless, his designs are great.  The only thing I felt that didn't feel right was best summed up by my brother-in-law, "Yeah, their designs are always so modern."  That's right.  I was lamenting that I felt the design was slowly evolving to modern contemporary.


Spacious Planners and Design
I was served by Nora, a nice lady.  Total visits was three times.  Unfortunately I didn't take her offer as I felt her design proposals didn't really suit what I wanted. I also understand Edgeline and Spacious are "sister' companies having the same boss.  I find it weird too, as they were just side-by-side at IMM.  Nevertheless, I was told by Alan from Edgeline they are run by different managements.


Space Planning and Design (Cannot locate webpage)
A middle-aged gentleman served me.  Basically I had to guide him what I wanted.  That's all.  No suggestions or anything from him.  Within 5 minutes, I regretted walking in and wanted out.  I cannot accept the fact that I have to provide design ideas to an ID.  I might as well get a Contractor.  He, of course, did not get back to me too.


Northwest Interior 
I was served by a A****.  Very hardworking as she called me several times to ask about my decision on her offer (lol)  But I did not take her offer for various reasons.  One main reason: she doesn't seem to understand my design theme at all.  How can it be delivered if the design theme is not understood?  It seems to me they are churning out the same, run-of-the-mill designs.  But I have to admit, her costs are low.  Good if you want it simple and cheap .


Intradesign
I was served by a very pleasant looking A******* which was highly recommended by renotalk forum users (whom strangely had a few posts only). Went through the design and was told her quotation would not have a breakdown (same as what others said),

Initially her quote came in within my budget. However, being in the construction line, I could never accept it if my contractor does the same thing to me. I cannot understand how forum users are ok to this. What if there are variations? How will it be determined? Do you really feel comfortable paying tens of thousands and not knowing the breakdown of costs? I cannot accept such business models. As such, do look for them if you are a novice in this. I do think their design ideas are great (even at first visit).


Beaux Monde
Okay this is disappointment. I was served by Z***** and spent more than one hour with her going through her designs. She has a flair and enthusiasm for design. I told her upfront she's short listed.

But in the end, she didn't get into the list. Why? Well it's simple. She didn't come back with any quotations. I didn't chase her for it too because it says alot on whether you want the job. Either my budget is too low for her profit margins or she is simply too busy.


2Form Interior Design*
Helmed by Mr Ray Sim, 2Form designs has been featured on magazines and newspapers. I should have known where I am heading in terms of price when I saw this headline:-

"More HDB flat owners spending lavishly to create dream homes"

Anyway, 2Form only appeared in my radar because I chanced upon them while on a hunt at Trades Hub 21.

I met Ray's assistant, Reginald,whom seemed fresh out of design school. I am fine with it though. Ray too had to sit in a few times. But the young chap was good in design. Opportunities have to be given to nurture young talents like him.

Unfortunately, they chose not to give me opportunity to hire them in return. The quote for my two bed room condo was about 80% percent of the renovation costs in that article.

Being in this line, I can't help but got shocked at the cost of certain works. The high costs stuck up like a sore thumb in the eyes of every quantity surveyor. After several meetings, the cost was reduced but still out of my budget. I concluded that it cannot proceed further.


Three-D Conceptwerke*
Jack served me. If you know this ID firm, my design theme should be known by now. Jack's design is very bold, fresh and innovative.

Unfortunately the cost of his works are very high. As much as I wanted to incorporate Jack's design into my living abode, my wallet would not allow me.  Jack even offered to waive off his design fee.  On one hand, I felt it was unfair to him.  But still, the waiver would not bring the cost within my budget.


Innerview Design
Colin was my ID for my previous flat. And also the boss of innerview. He is hardworking and responsive and I do like his workmanship. IMHO, Colin is more like a contractor. Naturally I went back and short listed him.

I discussed with him on the design like an old friend. He understood my design and ideas and was able to propose alternatives. He was confident of meeting my budget.

But he never got back....

I do not want to know why. I think he knows I am not a picky person and easy to work for. So it seems strange why he didn't came back with a quotation.

Anyway, Colin is highly recommended by me. There are indeed many bad reviews on renotalk forums, and I asked him about it. He shook his head in resignation and blamed his luck on employing someone whom had tarnished his firm's reputation.



Plush Living
J***** served me.  His design proposals didn't really interest me.  Ultimately, though his price was cheap, I didn't engage him.  Dunno why, but I find it hard to click with him.


B&E Group
I was recommended to P****** by my real estate agent.  B&E came across as a contractor firm initially.  As I was nearing my hunt for IDs and the quotations I gotten then weren't really fitting into my budget, I was assured that he will give me a very competitive price.  P****** indeed came to the condo unit to take measurements and was very attentive.

In the end, he did came back with a competitive quote; as competitive as the rest of the high quotes. For example, supply and laying of homogeneous tiles actually cost twice the market rate.  There was no further reduction, as such he was dropped.

Later my agent told me he was shocked at the pricing as P******* had done for his cousin's abode at almost half the price for a bigger unit. I told him it's probably he didn't want the job.  It's a common practice in the industry that contractors priced themselves out of a construction tender so as not to get the job and yet give the client 'face'.


Prozfile*
I came across Prozfile at an exhibition at Singapore Expo.  I would rank them highly in terms of design.  In fact, it parallels against Jack's design from Three-D Conceptwerke (see above).  Overall, I am utterly impressed by Kay Kay's design.  Unfortunately, they do not fit into my budget.  I would have engaged him if not for the costs.

One additional nugget of info.  Prozfile is suspected to be linked to a ID Firm with a familiar name.  I have spoken to them with respect to it and was told Prozfile was formed by the ex-partners in that ID Firm whom left due to difference in directions.  So no more guessing :D


Conclusion
As you can see above, there are only 11 ID firms listed. Please do not let my views stop you from approaching them.  I find some of them really good except their quotations cannot fit into my budgets.

The other two firms not mentioned above are The Ruler Group and GA7 Associates Design and Planning (GA7).    Together with Alan from Edgeline, they entered into my final shortlist.  It must be noted (unfortunately) that The Ruler Group and GA7 were the last ID firms which I got quotations from.  And they were within my budget!  I will elaborate more on the selection process in my next post.


3 comments:

  1. thks pal for this wonderful write up. really help me zero down the numerous id firms in the market. i am going to try prozfile to see how it goes but heard from forums that their workmanship sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the perfect blogs on renovation contracts. If you want to know more about interior renovation, you can click here.renovation contractors | interior renovation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the original article. I like articles of this kind, ones that make you really think. Anyway, I agree, be very careful ethical issues can arise once you have crossed the line.

    Home Renovation Companies

    ReplyDelete