Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Start of a New Chapter

I began house hunting in early this year (2012) looking for a new bachelor with a limited budget. I wanted a resale unit as I do not want to wait 2-3 yrs for a new condo unit. Simply put, I want an unit ASAP!

Several places cropped up in my hunt:

1) 833 Mountbatten along Mountbatten Road 
But this 50sqm one-bedroom unit was snapped up before I could even view the unit.

The Unit Floor Plan of the one-bedroom unit at 833 MB Residences



2) Other studio units which failed the cut
Condos in Aljunied, Little India/Rangoon Road and Paya Lebar area-failed cos there were just too many unsavory characters (streetwalkers). 

Optima at Tanah Merah failed cos of hefty prices (1400psf) and the one-bedroom units were all facing the west sun.

Units at Joo Chiat were rejected as the units shown were a walk away from bus stops and seemed secluded. My auntie whom has that type of vibes immediately told me to reject those immediately.


3) Double Bay Residences
Unit was a 50sqm studio unit. I was sold due to its location near Simei MRT. I fell in love with the layout and began closing in to purchase a sixth storey unit. There were only four units of these types of units on the resale market so it was going hot. When I saw the listing in late 2011, such a unit was going for 650k. However, by end April, it was selling for 700k. I went in ready to pay this figure but the seller wanted 730k. I raised offer to 715k but they stuck to that. And then came news on Singapore having too many studio apartments and possibly of low rental potential. I immediately considered other units.

The Type A2 was the one I wanted.



Conclusion
Eventually I was thinking why not get a bigger unit. 750k and above could snag me a 2 bedroom unit. However , choices were limited. The rising property prices were making such units becoming unattainable. That was till I saw Melville Park.

Melville Park is a 1232(I think) units condo development in Simei with 10 plus years in existence. I had initially considered Melville Park in late 2011 but I wasn't interested than. I was adverse to units with more than one bedroom as I was lazy to clean. In addition, it's old (have you seen the colonial style design? and the pinkish looking facade?)  Moreover prices for units at Melville Park were climbing even faster than public transportation fares. As such I dropped the notion. But that still did not stop someone staying there from giving me the occasional leaflet to let me 'consider'.
View of the Melville Park Estate
View of the Side Gate


Someone I know stays at this block


My agent Jerry Lee then advised Melville Park as an alternative after I decided not to make further offers for Double Bay Residences. Of cos he did it reluctantly for he felt I may lose out on resale in future. I felt then I may just stay in the East so to be more independent so I stay rooted in my decision.

I saw my first unit on the fourth storey at Block 16 or 18(cant remember as it has been quite a while).  It felt homely, but the unit was facing PIE.  It has a small balcony and nice homely feel.  But as the unit was facing the expressway, I was a tad cautious.  My auntie didnt have good vibes too.  So we decided not to go ahead with any offer.

A week later, my agent finally got me a unit on the ninth floor at Block 2X (secret!).  It was facing the HDB unit.  There was plenty of sunlight into the unit making it bright and spacious and best of all, the seller was the first owner.  Kudos to the seller whom have maintained a beautiful unit (though I had not met him).  After the acceptance of our offer, the unit is sold to me! August 13, 2012 shall be the day I collect my keys!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for giving the Renovation Contractor Singapore solutions, your blog information and home decoration technique is so good but you need some improvement i guess some simple wallpaper made it more beautiful visit Landed House Interior Designer Singapore how beautiful it is.

    ReplyDelete